JAFFE ART THEATER, 189 SECOND AVENUE, NEW YORK, NY
The Jaffe Art Theater is a 1925 neo-Moorish theater commissioned by Louis Jaffe and designed by Harrison Wiseman originally built as a Yiddish-language theater and converted into a cinema in 1991. Both its interior and exterior are individually designated New York City Landmarks, and the theater is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The interior preservation of the Village East Cinema in the Jaffe Art Theater included the preservation and restoration of the main auditorium’s ornamental plaster ceiling and dome. Plaster ceiling panels were removed, reinforced, cleaned, and reset. Damaged and missing panels were replaced and in-painted to match existing panel, the ceiling’s iron hanging structure was reinforced, and the central dome was restored and repainted. All work was reviewed and approved by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.